Dear Parent


You will be aware of the extreme storm forecast for Friday 18th February. This is what the Met Office is saying:

What to expect

  • There is a good chance that flying debris could result in a danger to life
  • Damage to buildings and homes is likely, with roofs blown off and power lines brought down
  • Roads, bridges and railway lines are likely to close, with delays and cancellations to bus, train, ferry services and flights
  • There is a good chance that power cuts, possibly prolonged, could occur and possibly affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage
  • Large waves are likely and beach material is likely to be thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties
  • It is likely there will be falling branches and some uprooted trees


We are currently told to expect damaging winds of 60 – 75 MPH between 10am and 4pm tomorrow; this is way beyond the scope of any storm we have had forecast for a number of years – last night the winds reached 50 MPH maximum. Given this likelihood we are making preparations for the potential closure of school for students. This will be confirmed via the school website and School Comms by 6.30am tomorrow morning – this will give us a chance to see if the severity of the forecast has been downgraded.

We have already taken the decision to take down the tennis dome and to close community facilities on Friday and Saturday.

I am sorry that we are unable to give any more advanced warning than this but we need to ensure the school is safe to travel to/from and to be in. If school is closed to students, work will be set remotely via Google Classrooms.

I have a remote meeting set up with other local Secondary Headteachers at 6am tomorrow morning and we will be making a collective decision on this.

In Caritas et Veritas,

Mike Holland