Headteacher Update 22nd July 202222/07/22
I hope you are well.
I am so pleased to tell you that this week we have been able to celebrate the achievements of our students in a number of ways:
- All of our students have received certificates today following Commendation Day assemblies. These certificates are linked to attitude to learning as well as achievement and attainment.
- On Wednesday 250 students went to the cinema to watch either Minions or Top Gun – with tons of popcorn.
- Over 150 students received achievement, attainment and wider school community prizes in a special gathering on Tuesday.
- Over 100 students in Years 7 and 8 attended a lunchtime celebration of their achievements in the school Caritas and Veritas Awards on Monday.
We have stressed how these awards are always closely linked to the hard work that students put into their school life and I know that you will be as proud of your children as I am.
If you have visited the school or campus recently you will know that the site and facilities are amazing. I mentioned last week that we have a small army of support staff ensuring that the school runs as efficiently as possible and for the site and IT facilities we have our estates management and ICT support teams to thank – very ably led by Mr Yevseyev (IT Manager); Mr Astles (Estates Manager) and Mrs Williams (Business Operations Manager). They will be working very hard over the next 6 weeks to ensure that the following projects are ready for the new term:
- The fourth Science Lab in the ROSLA block will be refurbished which will mean that all of the Labs will have been completely modernised over the past 5 years.
- We start the overhaul of the heating system in Caritas. This will be something that will take 4 summers to complete and the overall cost will be in the region of £1 million.
- The quad area outside the Caritas Hall is being tarmacked so that we will be able to use the space more efficiently at break and lunch times.
- There will be some refurbishment of the Reception area.
- Other general refurbishment and maintenance is always ongoing during all of the school holidays.
- Upgrading of the computers in one of our IT suites will also take place.
- Additionally, we expect work on our new History/Geography block to start in October so that it will be in place for the academic year starting in September 2023. It will be positioned opposite the school gym.
GCSE results day takes place on Thursday 25th August. We will email results to all students as close to 8am as possible and then students will be able to come in and collect paper copies from 9am onwards. The exams team, led by Mrs Kettle, do a fantastic but unseen job in ensuring things go to plan in this area of school life.
And finally… I would like to thank you for your continued support this year. I attended the Reward Trip to the cinema with 250 of your children yesterday and was again reminded that I am blessed in being able to do the job that I do. I would have preferred to have watched Top Gun but that would have meant pulling rank!
Have a great summer break – we are back at 8.30am for all students on Monday 5th September.
In Caritas et Veritas,